Recipes A to Z - Lemon Lavender Cookies
Page 8 of 10
Lemon Lavender Cookies Recipe
I was inspired by the thought of baking with Lavender after our travels in Provence, France. We enjoyed ice cream, cookies, and cakes all flavoured with a hint of lavender. These make a lovely and special gift for your hostess. Wonderfully light and airy, they just melt in your mouth.
To prepare the lavender sugar: I use a loose tea ball and fill it with culinary lavender and fill the jar with 2 cups of sugar. Leave it for 2 weeks.
375 degrees F / 190 degrees C
- 175 mL (3/4 cups sugar)
- 30 mL zest (or zest from 2 large lemons)
- 30 mL (2 TBSP) lemon juice
- 1/2 teas of lavender or less if you want just a hint
- 224 grams (1-3/4 cups) all purpose flour
- 1 mL (1/4 teas) baking soda
- 1 mL (1/4 teas) salt
- 175 mL (6 oz) of cold unsalted butter, cut into little cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 mL (1/2 teas) pure vanilla extract
- Mix well with a fork, the sugar, zest and lavender. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour to the sugar mixture, and mix until all well incorporated.
- Add all the butter pieces into the flour and sugar, and pulse together until it resembles cornmeal. Beat the egg yolk, and add lemon juice and vanilla. Make sure it is nice and smooth and then slowly drizzle this into the mixture above.
- Continue pulsing until it forms into a dough.
- Work on a clean surface, and form into a long cylinder about 1-1/2" diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Cut 3/8" thick slices and place onto prepared baking sheets. Allow 1" around each slice.
- Bake for 12 minutes until just golden brown.
- Allow to cool before transferring the cookies.